HISTORY OF CYPRUS
* c. 8,500 - 8,000 B.C Hunter
* 7,000 - 5,300 B.C. The first
settlers: the Khirokitians.
* 4,000 - 2,500 B.C. Chalcolitic
(Copper) Age: stone crucifix pendants are carved.
* 2,700-1,600 B.C. Cypriot Bronze
Ages, Early and Middle: cattle, horses, and bronze
making are introduced as well as highly indi- vidual
* 1,600-1,050 B.C. The Late Bronze
Age: period of sophisticated literate city states
such as Enkomi-Alasia and Kition.
* 1500 - 1450 BC: Hittite rule in
* 1450 BC - 1000 BC: Beginning of
the Egyptian domination of the island.
* 1200 BC - 1000: Establishment of
the city states of Salamis (capital at the time),
Soli, Marion, Paphos, Kurium, and Kyrenia; arrival
of Greek colonies.
* 1,000 - 850 B.C. The coming of
Iron, the Dorians and a Dark Age also known as
Cypro-Geometric I and II.
* 850 - 750 B.C The Phonecian-led
* 750 BC - 612 BC: Assyrian rule of
* 568 BC - 525 BC: Egyptian rule.
* 525 BC - 333 BC: Persian
occupation and the rule of the island.
* 333 BC - 58 BC: Hellenistic rule:
the heirs of the Alexander the Great rule the
* 58 BC - 395 AD: Roman Empire
ruling Cyprus: 350 years of quiet provincial
* 395 AD - 1191 AD: Island becomes
a part of the Byzantine Empire.
* 1191 AD - 1192: Rule of the
island by Richard the Lionheart, of England.
* 1192 AD - 1489 AD: Rule of the
island by the Frankish Lusignan dynasty.
* 1489 - 1570: Venetian domination
of the island.
* 1571 - 1878: Conquest of the
island by the Ottoman Empire.
* 1878 - 1925: In accordance with a
defence-alliance between Britain and the Ottoman
Empire, the administration of Cyprus passes to
* 1925 - 1960: Cyprus is annexed by
Britain when Ottoman Empire enters into the World
War I on the side of Germany; subsequently the
island becomes a British Crown colony and under the
* 1960: Foundation of the Republic
of Cyprus (by the Turkish and Greel Cypriot
* 1963: Inter-communal strife in
Cyprus and the subsequent collapse of the
* 1974: Coup d'etat by the Greek
army officers stationed on the island to overthrow
the President (Makarios) with the aim of uniting the
island with Greece; subsequent Turkish Military
* 1974: Division of the island into
Turkish-Cypriot North and Greek-Cypriot South.
* 2004: Greek Cypriot Cyprus enters
the European Union
* 2008: Greek Cypriot Cyprus adopts
the Euro as its currency